The Cause Bar: Top 10 Brands to Watch For in 2019
- Kristiana Tarnuzzer
…was a strong year for innovative social good brands -- I was impressed by so many, and remain in awe of the new thinking and looks that pop up each year! Welcome 2019…with some recently launched conscious brands, up and comers, and super newbies we are so excited to share with you!
1. Starch Slides: This whole concept is equally as brilliant as it is unique. One of a kind slides made from upcycled mens’ shirts, reducing textile waste one slide at a time.
2. DONNI: Made in Los Angeles, this brand seeks to create scarves with soul -- this begins by supporting the women who produce them, and concludes with a donation to a different charity every season.
3. Hark & Hammer: Hark + Hammer offers classic tailoring with a modern edge. Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, the brand takes pride in supporting local resources. The Hark + Hammer Philanthropy capsule is a t-shirt line that showcases original artwork with proceeds benefiting various worldwide causes.
4. Mazi: Handmade statement accessory pieces, Mazí exists to partner together with organizations working to address critical human needs around the world. In 2018, they partnered with Team World Vision to bring clean water directly to communities and individuals in Africa -- I cannot wait to see what’s in store for 2019!
5. Lumilla Mingus: Hand bags for the power woman who makes the rules -- and the it-girl who loves to break them. Proceeds to support women and children foundations and organizations such as Every Mother Counts, Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles and Girls Inc. have been donated to since the brand sold their first bag. Obsessing over their Jacki Bag right now, see below!
6. SALT: Super chic detachable hand bag straps, artisan made in Colombia, finished by hand in NYC. SALT gives back by partnering with the Wayuu Taya Foundation, with a portion of proceeds going directly toward building a new classroom in a local school. These straps add a layer of comfort, cool and eclectic to any and every bag.
7. Shompole Collection: Want to be immediately transported to the unspoiled natural beauty of Africa? Shompole stands for luxury, handmade, one-of-a-kind jewelry made by local Kenyan craftspeople. Their goal is to create beauty, art and commerce in Africa, providing livelihoods and profits for self-employed Kenyan artists. The Elephant Collection is the line for charity whereby 10% of proceeds go to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust for their pioneering work in elephant rescue and rehabilitation.
8. Kora Fitness: A fitness brand on fire! The distinctive four dots on each piece are a reminder of each charity they give back to -- Charity:water, Operation Underground Railroad, Action Against Hunger, and ADAA -- serving as a reminder to customers that becoming a great person is just as important as becoming a great athlete.
9. MAISON 10: An online and retail store concept in NYC featuring 10 highly desirable items across 10 different categories for a period of 10 weeks. For those that dislike math as much as I do…simply put, this means only 100 items are available online and in-store at a time. No excess, no waste. But my favorite 10 in the equation? 10% from the sale of each product is donated to one of 10 charities. They get a 10 out of 10 in my book.
10. Secteur6: A brand new luxury fashion brand dedicated to social and environmental progress. The collection pays for the education, job training, healthcare, and community improvement of the workers in their Delhi facilities and farms. Regenerative fashion at its finest.
This is just a sampling of some of the exciting brands to keep an eye on. Get to know them -- and continue to follow along for many more do-good and cause-oriented brands to come here on The Cause Bar in the year ahead!
Sweet Deals for The Cause Bar readers…
THE CAUSE BAR for 15% off Shompole Collection
THECAUSEBAR for 10% off Shoppe Salt
THECAUSEBAR for 15% off KORA Fitness
CAUSE60 for 60% off Hark + Hammer